Tuesday, 20 June 2017

Life is really good today

Throughout my career I have worked with so many different managers and leaders.  Some were managers because of their title.  For some reason and somehow they managed to get to that senior position of authority.  The trouble was they didn't know how to lead people in an effective "same page" kind of way.  They didn't know how to make people want to work hard and work well.  If you asked them their vision, they really couldn't give you an answer.  These were the managers that believed they needed to be the "boss".  They needed to dictate, to micro-manage and that through this style they could "demand" respect.  

It doesn't really work that way.

People did what they asked, but not because of respect.  They did it because it was expected of them.  If you asked these managers what really motivated staff, they really had no clue whatsoever.

The ones who I really loved working with were true leaders.  It wasn't about them having all the glory and being the "boss".  They empowered, they coached and mentored, they built confidence and trust and they showed a genuine care for you as a person.  I had a voice.  I was given the opportunity to share my opinions and ideas.  They are the leaders who are very hard to leave and honestly you work hard because you want to.  

In my previous position I worked with somebody who was very much a coach and mentor in everything she did.  I learned so much from her in my time working with her and I really miss working with her.  My current position has not been the best fit for me and I am finding myself surrounded by these manager-types rather than genuine leaders.  

Today I was made a really exciting offer for a new position.  It was quite a lengthy interview process - first a brief telephone conversation with one of the assistants.  Then I had a meeting with the manager who this role would report to.  The next step was a Panel meeting and finally a coffee meeting where I met some of the team.  Meeting all these people, seeing them interact together - you get a real feeling of genuineness, of caring for one another and of a positive and empowering culture.  
I wish I could be honest with whoever comes in after me because I was caught by surprise and a lot of information was not shared with me - information that really would have mattered to me in my decision-making.  But unfortunately I will not be able to, heck I was not even allowed to tell my team (reporting to me) about my resignation and my boss did this behind my back when I went out at lunch time.  But anyway, just another 17 more work days and then my new adventure can begin.  And what an adventure it will be.  I am so excited I can hardly contain myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment